Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Good reads

One of my most earnest desires is to learn from Scripture and have a true passion for God's Word. So I pray this for myself. I would ask you also to pray that I would be grounded in the Word before all else.

Apart from this I am interested in reading about the lives of others and the experiences people all over the world have had. Books have the ability to do just this. They can take you into a whole different world and allow you to view something from a completely different perspective.

I wanted to share with you guys a goal that I made for myself in late February. The goal is to read at least one book per month for the rest of the year.

Here are a couple of books I have read up to this point and wanted to tell you about:

1. Open - the autobiography of Andre Agassi. As you may know I love the sport of tennis. Not just playing, which I rarely get to do at this juncture of life, but watching as well. The life of this tennis icon is most interesting. A life filled with experiences that someone like me can hardly imagine. A huge part of his life involved pain... not just the physical kind because of injuries but the kind in your heart because of things that you go through. Now this is not just a downer of a book, I laughed and smiled a lot too.

2. A Million Miles in a Thousand - the newest book by Donald Miller. This book is about story. What it looks like to live a better story and to be a person of character. I can't tell you how many chapters I read and my mouth just dropped open. Such an applicable book to us as believers.

No comments: