Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blessed month

I have a lot to catch you guys up on as it has been a pretty busy month. I spent a few weeks living in the village of Huarochiri followed by a research trip. I won't be able to cover it all but what I can tell you for sure is that it has been a amazingly blessed few weeks.

So... Huarochiri was without a doubt one of the richest experiences I have had in a village. It began with uncertainty and days without much to do. However, the plans of the Lord became clear in time. We spent time with a couple of local believers on a regular basis. One of them was an old man, named Nisefero, and he wanted to meet every day... so we did! It was wonderful to see both Nisefero and Rayda (the other believer we met with) growing in the word of the Lord and trusting in Him more each day. Something amazing happened toward then end of our time. A lady came to Rayda to ask about us because she has the desire to read the Bible. We got to know her and spend time with her and she also was a believer! By the end of our time we got together with all three of them and they did a Bible study on their own. Hallelujah! We are praying that their time together will continue and that the Spirit will give them more and more understanding of the word.

An opportunity I was originally not too pumped about, but, which turned out to be one of the coolest was spending time with the children in the primary school. We visited one or two classes each day and taught Bible stories and english. It was unbelievable how they received us and the way they participated, picking up the stories and english quickly and with excitement. Our prayer is that those stories and the lessons about what God did will continue to stick with them... that the truth that they heard will not be forgotten. We pray that their little ears would be closed to any untruth that may come from a variety of sources. We got so close to one of the classes that they through us a party before we left and made us cards and flowers to take with us as a memory. Their gratitude to us was something I had never seen in any other place... I was truly humbled.

If you would like to check out some of the pictures you can see them here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=233281&id=638611248&ref=mf

I had to switch gears and get into research mode. The research trip went well but because of difficultly of public transportation in the area we were only able to get information from half of the villages on our original list. It was a real bummer leaving and feeling like we weren't able to accomplish all that we had hoped. I resigned myself to the fact that God knows best. We spent our last night as a team (Arturo, Michelle, and I) praying over the places we had been visited and those that we weren't able to visit. There was little gospel presence in the villages and we hope this will change soon if it's in His plan.

I am now enjoying a little time in Lima. I will be heading out for a few days on a mini-vacation to visit some places in the north. My team mostly covers southern Peru so it's time to get a little taste of the north. I will update you at least once more before this journey ends... which is only a little over three weeks away! I have completely mixed feelings at this point. All I know is that God is good. I am soaking up Peru in these last few weeks and am eager to see all of your faces very soon.

MAD LOVE

Been reading through some of the Old Testament books that are little and at the end. It has been awesome. And I wanted to share a verse.

"Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done great things!"
- Joel 2:21

No comments: