Saturday, January 3, 2009

Goodbyes, Planes, Beaches, and Bem Bos

Hello all!

Hope you have all had a wonderful holiday season.  I am so happy to say that this is my first post from PERU!  I am in my apartment and about to head to bed!

Saying goodbye to family was really hard.  I already miss them dearly.  During my last days I was able to go to the lake with poppa, momma, and my brother to enjoy the warm weather, we went to my favorite restaurant Pasquales, we spent lots of time just hanging out with the in the house, and we had a wonderful celebration with friends and family on New Year's Eve.  I could never thank the Lord enough for the blessing of my family.

My day on plane rides went pretty well besides a little spurt of sickness on the way to Lima.  I flew with a couple of girls who will also be working in South America which was very comforting.  We finally arrived in Lima, Peru around 2:00 am on Saturday.  We were met by a number of missionaries working here in Peru.  After getting luggage loaded we headed to my apartment.   I was the only girl in the apartment last night although there are 2 others living here who will be back tomorrow.  I unpacked until around 4 am and then hit the sack.  

Today was spent with two new friends who are working on the ReapSouth team.  We spent lots of time talking and walking.  They helped me to get familiar with the city.  We then took a trip down to the beach.  This was quite an experience as the beaches were packed with locals.  We set up a spot and enjoyed the warm air.  But ended up spending most of our time avoiding the burning looks from a group of surfer guys who were smoking marijuana.  We left the beach and headed back for home and later went to a local restaurant called Bem Bos where I got cheese sticks and a burrito!  It was a good meal for my first night.  I am looking forward to church tomorrow and more time with my new friends.  More to come soon!

Please be in prayer for me as I try to get back into the groove of understanding and speaking spanish constantly.  Be in prayer for the people in Lima and for Christ to have a strong impact on their lives.

Besos

6 comments:

lisagay said...

This is Tayler, I am so glad that you made it to Peru safely, and that so far, you are enjoying your trip. Today, I played basketball against 5th grade boys, and we lost, I am disapointed that we lost, but we played good. You are in my prayers, and I hope that you have fun. Pray constantly and always have faith in God. I love you!!!!!

P.S
Watch out for those boys who look interested!!!!

lisagay said...

This is Mammy, I am glad that you arrived safely. I am glad that I got to see you on Christmas. I will be praying for you and I love you very much!

lisagay said...

This is Ty, i played basketball today in brookesville, but lost to harrison county.oh! and louisville beat kentucky with a last second 3 pointer!hope you have a good time in peru and save many souls!

lisagay said...

hey Jess...we are all super happy to hear you have arrived safely in Peru. And like Tayler mentioned...watch out for those guys!! :)
We are going to check your blog often...please post as often as you have time to post...we are anxious to know all about your adventures.
We love you and admire you so much!
Lisa

lisagay said...

hey Jess...we are all super happy to hear you have arrived safely in Peru. And like Tayler mentioned...watch out for those guys!! :)
We are going to check your blog often...please post as often as you have time to post...we are anxious to know all about your adventures.
We love you and admire you so much!
Lisa

lisagay said...

sorry about the double posts...last words are from Peyton...he says "I love you"